Saturday 30 August 2014

Trend follower, trend setter, somewhere in between....or couldn't give a flying....?

I've been having a look at what is trending, or will be, in the world of interior design. For the record, I really don't like the expression 'on trend'. To my mind, it's a commercial term designed to make us think that if we buy in to the idea that something is 'on trend' that we will immediately rush out and buy it or grab the idea and plaster it around our houses. If something is 'on trend' you can bet your bottom dollar it will be 'off trend' a month or so later, if it isn't already by the time you've parted with your cash.
My point is, is it really that important to be on trend?

I listened to a presentation recently by some industry insiders...journalists and interior stylists....who debated the very subject. The conclusion, not surprisingly, was that taste is a very personal thing. Stylists (interiors) will look to the seasons' trends when advising clients, probably to avoid being labelled as 'so last season' by others in the industry. For commercial reasons, stylists need to be 'on trend' as they often work for the trend setters. A good stylist, however, will take in to account a clients likes and dislikes and try and marry this up with current trends and what they know will work.

You might be like me. I rarely pay too much attention to what's trending in interior décor. I read loads of magazines and look at what's happening, so probably know what is being pushed in my direction, but I like what I like whether it is bang on trend or not. If it is, it tends to be accidental! Same with my wardrobe. I'm definitely not a trend setter (or a trend follower) in this arena...

I like Pippa Jameson's view that someone is truly trendy/fashionable if they follow their own style with confidence irrespective of the trend setters.

 
By the time something hits the high street and prior to that, the press, it is almost a 'has been'. An example would be animal motifs on cushions and soft furnishings. Massive the last couple of years with foxes, owls, birds and butterflies everywhere. By the time we've all bought an owl cushion, the industry has moved on!

So, what's trending going forward then? Well...the good news is there are a couple of trends that are considered 'enduring' in that they will always pop up in some form or other but just be given a different name or description! Monochrome being the first. I wonder what it will be called this time?


This is a particular favourite of mine. I love the structure of monochrome schemes and they are versatile in that you can add colour at any point to soften or add a bit of pizazz and alter the balance of black or dark and light.

Pastels also feature. Great for period properties....bit more difficult in a modern property but a bit of pastel can work well against monochrome...a soft pink or a minty green for example.


Our love of grey continues.  Look more to the blues for inspiration. Obviously this encompasses stronger hues and pastels. One of my favourites is Railings. I love the depth with a hint of blue. Probably my colour of choice for our living room wall. The deep, rich colours work well with white and with metallic.

So, if you follow trends and like any of the above then good on you. If, like me, you follow your own sense of style, then good on you too! If you love your owl cushion, like I like my polar white, Formica work surface (apparently Formica is making a massive comeback!) then keep loving it. Well. For the record, I love it, trendy or not!

2 comments:

  1. Im afraid I just go with what I like. I cant afford to keep changing things so our furniture and furnishings tend to be with us for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....I think you probably represent most of us, Anne....me included....and I think that's a good thing. We don't have an unlimited budget with which to buy new furniture etc. Sometimes just swapping things around a bit...or a lick of paint is enough to feel like it's a new room. Personally...as much as I like looking at beautiful homes in magazines, when you strip it right back it's just 'stuff' and spending vast amounts on surrounding ourselves with 'stuff' just for the sake of it seems wrong to me.

      Delete